The 68th Ave NE Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements project is one of several included in the City of Kenmore's Walkways and Waterways program, an improvement bond measure that was approved by Kenmore voters in 2016.
This project will include:
- Construction of 1.5 miles of new sidewalk on one side of 68th Ave NE from NE 182nd St to 61st Pl NE
- New bicycle lanes in each direction
- Upgraded street lighting
- A new storm drainage system
The 68th Ave NE Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements project is expected to start in spring 2021 and finish at the end of 2022.
Current construction activity:
- Construction will begin in March, 2021. What to expect:
- Segments of 68th Ave NE and NE 202nd St will be closed to through traffic (local traffic allowed) during construction.
- Motorists are encouraged to use alternate north-south routes, such as 61st Pl NE and 73rd Ave NE during construction. Please see our detour maps for reference.
- Construction crews will begin work concurrently on Segment 1 (between NE 182nd St - NE 190th St) and Segment 5 (between 66th Ave NE - 61st Pl NE). Work on these segments is expected to last 8 months.
- Other segment closures on 68th Ave are listed below. These closures are expected to last 4 months.
- Segment 2: Between NE 190th and NE 195th streets.
- Segment 3: Between NE 195th St and NE 198th St.
- Segment 4: Between NE 198th St and 66th Ave NE.
Pre-construction utility relocation work continues in the 68th Ave NE - NE 202nd St corridor. Utility relocations include Puget Sound Energy (PSE) Electric, PSE Gas, Comcast and Frontier. Periodic lane closures will be implemented as needed to safely conduct the work. Planned water and sanitary sewer relocations will be completed later, concurrently with the city’s construction contract through an interlocal agreement with Northshore Utility District.